DID YOU KNOW?
- Love, love, loved this nationwide fitness program from the minute I took my first class 31 years ago. Jacki Sorensen is an absolute choreographing genius. Loved it so much I became an instructor! It's a complete fitness program rolled into one FUN hour that includes stretching and flexibility, muscle toning and strengthening, and a cardiovascular workout. Yes, fitness can be fun. Classes are held at the PAL center in Hockessin Mon. and Wed. 9-10 a.m. and Mon. through Thurs. 6-7 p.m. Call me or email me at The Gift Horse for more info. Visit www.jackis.com for more info.
- If you want boiling salted water, add the salt after water has come to a boil. Salted water takes longer to come to a boil than unsalted water. Remember this when cooking pasta.
- You can remove that red wine stain after all, although the sooner you get it out after spilling it, the more success you will have removing it. Mix equal parts of DAWN dish detergent and hydrogen peroxide. Pour on stained area, rub and rinse. It works like magic. Just remember to use a small amount of each as 1/4 c. of dish detergent and 1/4 c. of hydrogen peroxide makes 1/2c. You probably wouldn't even need this much. If you spill on carpet, pour solution on carpet, scrub with toothbrush or scrub brush and suction moisture with wet vac.
- Homemade Window Cleaner - My husband was given this "recipe" for cleaning windows by a boat owner who used it on his boat windows which had that hard to remove salt residue. I find it works really well on my windows at home, but I do keep a razor blade close by for stubborn residue.
2 16oz. bottles of rubbing alcohol
1 Tablespoon Prell shampoo
Fill 1 gallon jug to top with water
Mix thoroughly and use as you would any window cleaner.
- Use raw spaghetti strands to light hard-to-reach candles.
- Store each sheeet set in a pillowcase. Linens are much neater and a cinch to find.
- Want to save on dining out? Go to restaurant.com to purchase a gift certificate that's redeemable for $25 but costs you just $10. Also makes a great gift.
- Have you heard about inumber.com? If you would rather not hand over your phone number to a potentially creepy Craigslist seller(of a questionable website) but you do want that crazy-cheap armoire, log on to this site, which creates a free, automatically expiring number that will forward calls to your phone.
- Icebreaker: Hand out pennies at your next gathering and ask each guest to share a story that happened during the year of his penny. If the coin predates a friend, let the person improvise.
- Birdbath cleaner: To ward off algae, toss in a few pre-1982 coins. The high copper content retards growth.
- Lost an earring? If the lone earring is a post earring, use it as a decorative pushpin on a bulletin board.
- Know how that once green moss in your arrangements slowly turns brown, eSpecially if the sunlight hits it? Well get out a spray bottle, fill it with about 1/2 cup water. Add a few drops of green food coloring and spray the moss. Voila! Green moss again that will last. If it's not green enough add more green food coloring. Stay tuned for another tip.
- Did you know that when burning pillar candles, the first time you light the candle, you want to burn it at least 2-3 hours to get the maximum pool of wax?. Once that pool is established on the first burn, the pool will never get any larger, so if you only burn it a short time the pool will be very small and you will not get as much burn time from the pillar.
- Do you have a tip you would like to share with others? If so e-mail us and we'll pass it on. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org